This visa called “Investor for Work” allows the entrepreneur to work legally in the United States on the basis of a substantial investment that will be under his control. The investor must demonstrate its positive impact on the US economy and its contribution in terms of job creation. This visa is granted between 1 and 5 years and must be applied to its renewal before each expiration.
E-2 Visa, its vocation is to offer a job position to the principal applicant. The applicant may be accompanied by: spouse, who may work in the United States, and children under the age of 21 who may reside and study in the United States. The principal applicant will be able to work legally in the USA, only maintaining the employment relationship with the company with which apply the E2 Visa.
E-2 Visa Requirements
- The investor of the country that has a bilateral trade treaty with the United States must own more than fifty percent of the American company.
- The investor must have an established business, or be in the process of establishing a business through a substantial investment. A passive investment, such as the purchase of one (1) house to live or rent, does not qualify for this type of visa.
- The investment must be a substantial sum. For a new business, an investment of about or greater than $100.000 dollars is suggested. Funds invested must be at risk (they must have already been spent).
- The investment must create jobs for employees with permission to work legally in the United States.
- The person applying for the visa must play a substantial role in the company, act as manager, executive or develop direct investment. The applicant to an investor visa must have control over at least 50% of the company.
- This is a non-immigrant visa that will be valid for a period of one to five years, depending on the time granted by the consular officer to evaluate the application. The principal investor or applicant may renew the visa indefinitely while the business conditions are maintained in the manner described above.
The advantages of obtaining an E-2 Visa is that it can be renewed indefinitely as long as the conditions that led to its approval are active. It should be noted that this visa does not lead to Permanent Residence, however it can be renewed for many years.